Bay Six Software Forum Index Bay Six Software
Beyond the Basics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Possible features for v2.0
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bay Six Software Forum Index -> WMLiberty DLL
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brent
Site Admin

PostPosted: Nov 15th, 2005, 9:20am    Post subject: Possible features for v2.0 Reply with quote

I have some ideas of what features I want to put in WMLiberty 2.0. I'd be interested in what you all want or need, so please speak up if you care.

I plan to add some functions that I hope will make WMLiberty easier to use and more powerful. I also plan to possibly deprecate some functions or remove them outright.

Things to add:
  • OnMessage an alias of deprecated SetWMHandler
  • OnCommand simplifies using WM_COMMAND events
  • OnNotify simplifies using WM_NOTIFY events
  • EnableMDI converts an existing window into an MDI window
  • GetVersion alias of deprecated WMLibertyVersion

Things to remove:
  • SetWMRangeHandler
  • CreateMDIClient
  • CreateMDIClientEx
  • RegisterMDIChildClass
  • RegisterMDIFrameClass

Last edited by Brent on Feb 19th, 2006, 9:32am; edited 1 time in total
Kcproductionz

PostPosted: Nov 15th, 2005, 11:36am    Post subject: Re: Possible features for v2.0 Reply with quote

I like that OnCommand stuffs, I always had trouble with trapping those stuffs.
Brent
Site Admin

PostPosted: Nov 17th, 2005, 4:14am    Post subject: Re: Possible features for v2.0 Reply with quote

Additionally, I would like to add a means of doing "accelerators," window- or application-specific key combinations that translate into WM_COMMAND messages. These are usually associated with menu items and most apps add something like "Ctrl+X" to the menu items' text. This function might be named OnAccel.

Last edited by Brent on Nov 17th, 2005, 6:46am; edited 1 time in total
Kcproductionz

PostPosted: Nov 17th, 2005, 4:33am    Post subject: Re: Possible features for v2.0 Reply with quote

I havent really used accelerators in any of my applications not done in LB. But I see how they would be useful, I think it would be a great addition.
Brent
Site Admin

PostPosted: Nov 17th, 2005, 10:45am    Post subject: Re: Possible features for v2.0 Reply with quote

I was just reminded about WMLiberty's difficulty in dealing with WM_CTLCOLOR* messages which require the handler function to return an HBRUSH. The problem occurs when you want to give a control different colors at different times. I plan for v2.0 to allow more flexibility in returning values from the handler. But it may be nice to have (a) specialized function(s) for this purpose. I'd be interested in how much demand there could be for such a feature.
BASICwebmaster

PostPosted: Dec 6th, 2005, 4:13pm    Post subject: Re: Possible features for v2.0 Reply with quote

I would love to see the above-mentioned features. I would love the hot-key feature, but my suggestion would be:

Code:

'Pesudo-Code, no specific language:
RegisterHotKey:
   HotKey as long
   CallbackAddress as long
   result as long

WMLiberty rocks!
Brent
Site Admin

PostPosted: Dec 14th, 2005, 6:34am    Post subject: Re: Possible features for v2.0 Reply with quote

An additional feature I'm sure some people would really like is some sort of awareness of LB's debugger. I might add a SetTrace function to turn on, turn off, or set some level/state. This is just a vague notion, though.
bshipps64

PostPosted: Mar 2nd, 2006, 4:32am    Post subject: Re: Possible features for v2.0 Reply with quote

Brent,
A while back I attempted to use WMLiberty to capture keypresses while another application has input focus in order to perform some processing prior to that application's receiving of the keypress message (or possibly even prevent it from receiving the message). I believe you had advised me WMLiberty did not have such a capability at the time. Will version 2.0 be able to perform systemwide hooks?

The application in this instance was one in which a background process would monitor for a specific DOS program to have input focus then prevent the Caps Lock key from functioning when it is.

-Cassio
Tasp

PostPosted: Nov 9th, 2007, 10:51am    Post subject: Re: Possible features for v2.0 Reply with quote

Give the DLL the ability to monitor network thoughput.

I know it's cheeky but I looked at creating a DLL for this purpose but can't even start, and thought Brent's got a great DLL already wouldn't it be even greater if it could do this aswell! Embarassed
Brent
Site Admin

PostPosted: Nov 9th, 2007, 8:47pm    Post subject: Re: Possible features for v2.0 Reply with quote

Hello Tasp, and welcome to the forum!

It probably wouldn't be a bad idea to put that in a DLL, but I think it's not a feature for WMLiberty. If I remember correctly, there isn't anything in that particular API that relates to window messages or GUI elements of any sort. I want to keep WMLiberty as small and easy-to-use as possible.

Thanks

Tasp

PostPosted: Nov 9th, 2007, 8:59pm    Post subject: Re: Possible features for v2.0 Reply with quote

Indeed Brent you are correct, the API doesn't affect a window in any way.

Maybe there should be WMLibertyNetwork DLL! Very Happy I'm ever hopeful.
carlo

PostPosted: Nov 17th, 2007, 7:28am    Post subject: Re: Possible features for v2.0 Reply with quote

Dear Brent :

great idea upgrading WMLiberty!

I am particularly interested in improving handling of WM_NOTIFY and WM_COMMAND.

Moreover, introducing a way to change (easily) colors of controls AFTER they are created would be great.

Thanks for what you are doing for LB community.

Carlo

PostPosted: Jan 4th, 2008, 12:40am    Post subject: Re: Possible features for v2.0 Reply with quote

Brent, I would appreciate it if you didn't remove all the MDI stuff, unless you have a working and just as good solution/workaround/other DLL, because I like this function. Thanks.
Brent
Site Admin

PostPosted: Jan 4th, 2008, 9:24pm    Post subject: Re: Possible features for v2.0 Reply with quote

I plan to keep some MDI capabilities, but the calls to do it will likely change. My hope is to make it easier to use with native windows and controls.

PostPosted: Jan 4th, 2008, 10:27pm    Post subject: Re: Possible features for v2.0 Reply with quote

OK.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bay Six Software Forum Index -> WMLiberty DLL All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: