Bay Six Software Forum Index Bay Six Software
Beyond the Basics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

UI completely with WMLiberty

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bay Six Software Forum Index -> WMLiberty DLL
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Carl Gundel

PostPosted: Nov 9th, 2005, 6:18pm    Post subject: UI completely with WMLiberty Reply with quote

Brent,

Is it possible to create and manage the whole of a Windows application's UI with WMLiberty and API calls? In other words, if I wanted to create windows, menus and controls and handle all their events and not use any of Liberty BASIC's built in GUI commands, would this be feasible?

-Carl
Brent
Site Admin

PostPosted: Nov 9th, 2005, 10:30pm    Post subject: Re: UI completely with WMLiberty Reply with quote

Carl,

It's probably impractical to register a window class and create a top-level window of that class. RegisterClass(Ex) requires a pointer to a WindowProc. Avoiding WindowProc's was the main reason for creating WMLiberty.

Reusing an existing window class with CreateWindowEx or just "Open ... For Window ... " to make your top-level windows are best for an LB app. One could call GetWindowLong or GetClassInfo to get LB's default WindowProc and use that to register a new window class. However, that could be error-prone if it's not done correctly. LB's window class could change in a future version. Using different class styles from what an existing WindowProc expects could create subtle bugs that are nearly impossible to track down.

So, my suggestion for someone wishing to use WMLiberty to build their complete GUI is to stick to subclassing LB's native windows. Almost any control you create on the window can be made fully functional. The most common issue with API-created controls has to do with z-order and tabbing, especially inside non-dialog type windows. Basically, WMliberty can help make an all-API GUI, but it's still a fair amount of work.

BASICwebmaster

PostPosted: Dec 6th, 2005, 4:15pm    Post subject: Re: UI completely with WMLiberty Reply with quote

Would such a program be faster then a regular LB GUI program?
Brent
Site Admin

PostPosted: Dec 6th, 2005, 8:26pm    Post subject: Re: UI completely with WMLiberty Reply with quote

BASICwebmaster wrote:

I don't believe that speed is much of a factor with respect to GUI controls. Do you mean responsiveness to user actions? Response time is most effectively aided by multithreading. However, LB doesn't give us that option.

BASICwebmaster

PostPosted: Dec 13th, 2005, 8:32pm    Post subject: Re: UI completely with WMLiberty Reply with quote

Brent wrote:
BASICwebmaster wrote:

I don't believe that speed is much of a factor with respect to GUI controls. Do you mean responsiveness to user actions? Response time is most effectively aided by multithreading. However, LB doesn't give us that option.

Yes, I mean response time. I have notice some sluggishness with LB event handing, and need some more speed for upcoming projects.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bay Six Software Forum Index -> WMLiberty DLL All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: