Bay Six Software Forum Index Bay Six Software
Beyond the Basics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Accessibility issues in the LB5 alphas

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bay Six Software Forum Index -> Inclusive Design
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brent
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mar 26th, 2019, 1:51am    Post subject: Accessibility issues in the LB5 alphas Reply with quote

I've done a little testing with the LB 5 alphas. So far the testing process seems to be going smoothly. LB 5 should be a major improvement in many areas.

One area that could use improving is accessibility. My limited testing has revealed some major failings that make LB5 unusable by people with various disabilities. But also, it appears that any software written with LB 5 will suffer from the same problems.

I'll update this topic as testing proceeds.

Issue 1: Screen reader inaccessibility
Severity: Major
OSes: Windows, likely Linux, likely Mac OS

Steps to reproduce:
  1. On Windows 10, you can use Narrator. Press Ctrl+Windows+Enter to activate or deactivate it.
  2. Start the LB 5 alpha.
  3. Press Alt+F to open the File menu and use the arrow keys to move around the various menu items.

You will find that almost no text is read out by Narrator.

Screen readers are used primarily by people with blindness or visual impairments, but are also used by those with severe dyslexia.

Issue 2: Hard-coded double-click interval
Severity: Moderate
OSes: Linux, others unlikely

Carl has admitted as much. He stated that this was set to 200 ms in the first few alphas, and later raised to 400 ms.

This new setting is an improvement. However, it still could exclude anyone with poor muscle control who might need more than 400 ms to double-click.

I did some research on the likely cause. I read that Linux has no single location for this and other similar settings.

Each GUI framework has its own settings. Qt has "qt.conf" and GTK has "gtkrc".

Since LB 5 is using neither of these GUI frameworks, maybe it should use a centrally located configuration file where these settings could be changed. Or it could just use the settings from one of the existing config files.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bay Six Software Forum Index -> Inclusive Design All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Quick Reply
Username:
   Shortcut keys: Alt+Q to activate, Alt+P to preview, Alt+S to submit
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum