Bay Six Software Forum Index Bay Six Software
Beyond the Basics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Try out the parser
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bay Six Software Forum Index -> ViviFire language
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brent
Site Admin

PostPosted: Apr 28th, 2012, 7:03pm    Post subject: Try out the parser Reply with quote

You can download an executable file that implements the current stable syntax from www.b6sw.com/ViviFire/VF.exe.

The program needs to be passed the name of a file to parse on the command line; therefore, it's best to run this from the Command Prompt.

Last edited by Brent on Aug 14th, 2014, 7:17pm; edited 1 time in total
Brent
Site Admin

PostPosted: May 1st, 2012, 8:15pm    Post subject: Re: Try out the parser Reply with quote

I just uploaded a new version. My current and primary reason for this executable release is to see what you all think about the error messages it generates.

You don't need to know every detail of VF's syntax. In fact, it might be preferable if you know only LB or RB and haven't been following this forum that closely. You could make it into a little game with the goal to produce the most obscure error message.

If you do produce an error message you don't understand, please post the code here.

STPendl

PostPosted: May 2nd, 2012, 8:01pm    Post subject: Re: Try out the parser Reply with quote

I will hopefully be able to do some testing over the weekend.

Thanks for the sneak-peek Wink

Any code I post can be freely used, just give credit.
Brent
Site Admin

PostPosted: May 4th, 2012, 10:03pm    Post subject: Re: Try out the parser Reply with quote

I continue to work on improving the error messages—particularly those related to malformed tokens. Look for an update this weekend.

http://www.b6sw.com/docs/ViviFire

Brent
Site Admin

PostPosted: May 6th, 2012, 5:43pm    Post subject: Re: Try out the parser Reply with quote

There's a new release, just in case you didn't notice. The next release will likely be next weekend. Some problems I'm working on include allowing comments in more places and repeated comments. I'll also try to make the EXE much smaller.
Brent
Site Admin

PostPosted: May 7th, 2012, 5:39pm    Post subject: Re: Try out the parser Reply with quote

After seeing Brandon's recent bug report, I ran his code through VF and got "Invalid IfStatement" which seems unsatisfactory. In the next release it should instead display the message "Mismatched parentheses."
Brent
Site Admin

PostPosted: May 11th, 2012, 9:57am    Post subject: Re: Try out the parser Reply with quote

I just updated the files. You may notice that VF.exe has shed some weight. It's about 500KB smaller than its predecessor. If you feel so inclined, please try it out.

The only complaint about the feedback I'm getting is that it's completely nonexistent. Please let me know what causes your disinterest. Or if that term doesn't cover it, I'm eager to learn what you really think.

I have considered posting about VF on the Conforums board, but hesitate, not wishing to appear as competition with LB5 for people's attention.

Alyce

PostPosted: May 11th, 2012, 12:16pm    Post subject: Re: Try out the parser Reply with quote

Brent wrote:
I just updated the files. You may notice that VF.exe has shed some weight. It's about 500KB smaller than its predecessor. If you feel so inclined, please try it out.

The only complaint about the feedback I'm getting is that it's completely nonexistent. Please let me know what causes your disinterest. Or if that term doesn't cover it, I'm eager to learn what you really think.

I have considered posting about VF on the Conforums board, but hesitate, not wishing to appear as competition with LB5 for people's attention.

I was going to suggest that you do exactly that, Brent. Please feel free. There is a thread there about translating LB to C that really belongs here on your board. I don't have time to explain it there without appearing abrupt (I'm out the door to the oral surgeon... joy.) Please invite the "translate to C" folks here. (The topic sure doesn't belong on the novice board anyway.)

My dad (age 86) is in hospital again with pneumonia and my attention is fragmented and elsewhere. That is why I haven't tried your parser. Sorry.

Edit to add: if I wasn't clear, YES, please post about vivifire on the conforums board.

robmcal

PostPosted: May 14th, 2012, 7:26pm    Post subject: Re: Try out the parser Reply with quote

I would love to help with testing but I'm not real sure what to do. I opened the command prompt and typed in <C:\Users\rob\Desktop\vivfire\VF.exe "VFUnit.txt"> (without the arrows, didnt want to use quotes and confuse things) When I press run a dos type window flashes on my screen. Not really sure if VFUnit.txt is a vf program or not. Tried it with a small LB program and got same flashing window.
Brent
Site Admin

PostPosted: May 14th, 2012, 10:03pm    Post subject: Re: Try out the parser Reply with quote

The .txt files are grammar specifications for VF. In particular, VFUnit.txt is for the sub-scanner to lex unit names which follow different rules from the normal grammar specified by VF2012.txt. I haven't uploaded any test files yet, because the grammar is still in flux. The main purpose for releasing the executable is to allow people to stumble around and tell me if they get any errors they find strange. If you have read all of my "experiment" posts, you should get a good idea of what is going on with syntax and the goals of the project.

The best way to run VF.exe is to place it in a folder of your choice, then start Command Prompt and CD to that directory. Then type "notepad <some file>" where <some file> is a name of your choice and allow Notepad to create it. Then you can type some code you think will produce a certain error (or not) and save it. Then go back to Command Prompt and type "vf <some file>" and watch what happens.

Currently the program will display each token on a separate line. For an expression, it will print out labels that indicate which productions are invoked to parse the expression. The numbers to the left of the token are that token's associated token number (eg 1 = newline).

robmcal

PostPosted: May 14th, 2012, 11:27pm    Post subject: Re: Try out the parser Reply with quote

Quote:
If you have read all of my "experiment" posts, you should get a good idea of what is going on with syntax and the goals of the project.

No I hadn't because:
Quote:
In fact, it might be preferable if you know only LB or RB and haven't been following this forum that closely.

Sorry, I thought this would take an LB program and make an .exe. That was the subject of the thread at the LB forum where this thread was linked. Unforunately I don't have time to learn a new language right now. Good luck with your project.

@ Alyce,
Best wishes for a speedy recovery for your dad. He will be in my thoughts and prayers.
JosephE

PostPosted: May 15th, 2012, 3:21am    Post subject: Re: Try out the parser Reply with quote

I tried out the parser. It's great! I think.

I ran it on this code file:
Code:

print "Hello, world!"
end

Based on LB, right?

Code:
C:\Users\Joseph\Downloads>vf vf.txt

19:print
17:"hello, world!"-- line 1 col 7: plainHandle expected

1:?
19:end-- line 2 col 4: plainHandle expected

-- 2 error(s)

That's what I got. It looks like it's working! I'm just...at a loss of what "plainHandle" is. Does VF require mandatory parenthesis on all function calls?

I can't tell, but I changed it to this:
Code:
Print("hello, world!")
end

And got this:
Code:
C:\Users\Joseph\Downloads>vf vf.txt

19:print
4:( Identifier variable
17:"hello, world!" Expression Logical Relational Additive Multiplicative Power U
nary Primary String
5:)
1:?-- line 1 col 24: invalid AssignmentStatement

19:end-- line 2 col 4: plainHandle expected

-- 2 error(s)

Enlighten me, perhaps? Wink In any event, great job on your parser! It seems to be completely over-controlling jerk, which is always a good thing when it comes to parsers. Smile
Brent
Site Admin

PostPosted: May 15th, 2012, 4:18am    Post subject: Re: Try out the parser Reply with quote

Hi Joseph,

VF isn't designed to work like LB; it was inspired by it. That being the case, there's no PRINT keyword. Instead you have to pass a value to an object's method. It might look like
Code:
require IO #out
#out "Hello world!"NL""

Here, the REQUIRE statement works much like Run BASIC's RUN statement to import a library and assign it a handle. The library exports an anonymous method, which is called in the second line. The NL metacharacter is to print a newline. I have considered adding support for macros that would provide an exact equivalent to the PRINT statement, but haven't.

The term "plainHandle" is to distinguish it from a "handleArray".
Code:
#handle = #null
#handles(1) = #null
#handles("test") = #null

JosephE

PostPosted: May 15th, 2012, 4:50am    Post subject: Re: Try out the parser Reply with quote

Ok, I'm starting to get the idea of it.

But even this didn't work. It should at least be valid to the parser, right?

Code:
require IO #io
#io "Hello world!"
Brent
Site Admin

PostPosted: May 15th, 2012, 5:33am    Post subject: Re: Try out the parser Reply with quote

Joseph, you didn't mention what the error message was, or if you got one. The only error I can fathom you getting is "newline expected" because every statement must end with a line break.

BTW, for anyone running Vista or later, you can send VF's output to the clipboard using a command like
Code:
vf test.txt|clip

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bay Six Software Forum Index -> ViviFire language All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to:  
Quick Reply
Username:
   Shortcut keys: Alt+Q to activate, Alt+P to preview, Alt+S to submit
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum