Bay Six Software Forum Index Bay Six Software
Beyond the Basics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

RunBoard 0.1.0 - proof of concept

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Bay Six Software Forum Index -> SapientBoard
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brent
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mar 11th, 2009, 2:39am    Post subject: RunBoard 0.1.0 - proof of concept Reply with quote

RunBoard is my attempt to make a full-featured forum/bulletin board application. Some of the features will include
  • A plug-in-style architecture
  • Skins to customize the look and feel
  • Language packs
  • Anti-spam tools
  • Search engine optimization
RunBoard requires the Run BASIC server and will not work with the free edition.

Unfortunately, I am unable to provide a running demo due to hosting restrictions. But even if I could, it's not mich to look at yet. There is no database code, so all of the content it has is hard-coded.

Questions, comments, and suggestions are welcomed.

RunBoard_0_1_0.zip
 Description:
RunBoard 0.1.0

Download
 Filename:  RunBoard_0_1_0.zip
 Filesize:  6.51 KB
 Downloaded:  117 Time(s)

Brent
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mar 11th, 2009, 5:24am    Post subject: Re: RunBoard 0.1.0 - proof of concept Reply with quote

I chose the name before googling it. It seems to be used by runboard.com, so I've been trying to come up with alternatives. I like puns, so a name that struck me as appropriate is 6-Pack BBS.

What do you think?

Brent
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mar 12th, 2009, 9:32am    Post subject: Re: RunBoard 0.1.0 - proof of concept Reply with quote

Or how about something like NextFor?
STPendl

PostPosted: Mar 12th, 2009, 9:07pm    Post subject: Re: RunBoard 0.1.0 - proof of concept Reply with quote

RB has problems, if the label includes spaces.

[Sub Break...] and [Sub load.skin] must be changed or the program times out.

Any code I post can be freely used, just give credit.
Brent
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mar 13th, 2009, 4:50am    Post subject: Re: RunBoard 0.1.0 - proof of concept Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestion, Stefan. I didn't know that or forgot it.
STPendl

PostPosted: Mar 13th, 2009, 8:11am    Post subject: Re: RunBoard 0.1.0 - proof of concept Reply with quote

Brent wrote:
Thanks for the suggestion, Stefan. I didn't know that or forgot it.

I think you forgot it, when you changed from Sub's to GoSub's.

Haven't explored the files to examine the code, but the result looks good so far.

Any code I post can be freely used, just give credit.
Brent
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mar 13th, 2009, 6:05pm    Post subject: Re: RunBoard 0.1.0 - proof of concept Reply with quote

Here are some things to look for in the next release.
  • Fixed timeout bugs.
  • Conditional rendering of template (skin) elements
    1. Code:
      <(if|or) (true|false)="variable">
      Done
    2. Code:
      <(if|or) op="[n|s]v(eq|ge|gt|le|lt|ne)(n|s|v)" (n="num"|s="str"|v="var[ var]")>
      Incomplete

Example:
Code:
<if true="foo"><or op="vltn" v="bar" n="3" />
    <variable>foo_bar</variable>
</if>

Alyce

PostPosted: Mar 16th, 2009, 10:26am    Post subject: Re: RunBoard 0.1.0 - proof of concept Reply with quote

When Run BASIC was in beta, I started a similar project. I didn't keep the code, because it never matured enough to be useful. When it was in development, I asked Carl for a few enhancements to RB that would make this app possible, and he complied. I haven't downloaded it, yet, Brent, but will do so soon. I'm sure it is approximately a squillion times better than anything I could create.
Brent
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mar 16th, 2009, 7:46pm    Post subject: Re: RunBoard 0.1.0 - proof of concept Reply with quote

Hi Alyce,

I think RB is just barely mature enough to make a proper forum. The main issue yet to be resolved is session management. To make URLs search engine- and copy/paste-friendly, I have to forego RB's built-in session management. Carl has mentioned adding cookie-based session management in a future RB release, which would save me a lot of grief, if it happens.

Brent
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mar 21st, 2009, 8:38am    Post subject: Re: RunBoard 0.1.0 - proof of concept Reply with quote

Hi again,

I've been racking my brain for days trying to come up with a better name for this project. It has to be unique. It has to be memorable. It has to give a good impression. It can't be too obscure or too difficult to spell. And it must have at least one play on words.

The name I came up with is SapientBoard.

If you don't know, "sapient" means "wise" or "intelligent." If you are a fan of Star Trek, you often hear "sentient" used to mean the same. However, the two are not synonyms. "Sentient" means "capable of sensing."

The plays on words include an anagram: a single word minus two of my own initials. Both word and initials can be associated with the number six -- one mathematically and the other popularly.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Bay Six Software Forum Index -> SapientBoard All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum

Lo-Fi Version