Bay Six Software Forum Index Bay Six Software
Beyond the Basics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Internationalization
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bay Six Software Forum Index -> Inclusive Design
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brent
Site Admin

PostPosted: Aug 28th, 2005, 10:59pm    Post subject: Internationalization Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I've been interested in ways to make my apps more international for a long time. Unfortunately LB does not make this easy. LB can deal with Latinate scripts (letters A-Z) and accented versions of most glyphs. This is fine for European languages, but it doesn't help for the other 70% of the world.

Does anyone have any experience writing an app in LB that can display non-Latin characters?

Phuayj

PostPosted: Sep 2nd, 2005, 1:26pm    Post subject: Re: Internationalization Reply with quote

Well, Brent. Basically, I could tell you that I know Chinese and Japanese. They both are combined by two Ascii characters. I was trying an experiment which I type words in Notepad and open it in LB. But it wasn't successful. The only reason was LB splitted it up into two characters. My next aim was on API texteditor. It wasn't successful too.

So, I think it would be better if there were additional DLLs to create Unicode Editor. That's what I think.
Phuayj

PostPosted: Sep 2nd, 2005, 1:37pm    Post subject: Re: Internationalization Reply with quote

Googled, there are no free DLLs, only some sharewares.

Another possibility is using the RichEdit. Haven't tried that yet.
Brent
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sep 2nd, 2005, 11:43pm    Post subject: Re: Internationalization Reply with quote

Thank you for the replies, Phua. I am more interested in getting such non-Latin scripts to display in menus and other GUI elements. It would be nice to allow users to type these characters into the code editor for code comments, and allow for the management of comments in multiple languages (e.g. hiding foreign comments as not to confuse the non-speakers). I am attempting to do this properly by separating the language from the GUI.

I think I managed to figure out how to display Cyrillic text using LB. That was mainly a font issue because Cyrillic has 33(?) letters and easily fits in an 8-bit character set. This should also work for Arabic and Hebrew, but these are more complicated by being written right-to-left. I could probably set up these languages on XP, but I'm a little fearful that if I make Windows use a different language, I might have trouble getting it changed back!

Phuayj

PostPosted: Sep 3rd, 2005, 9:17am    Post subject: Re: Internationalization Reply with quote

It maybe even more difficult to do it. But since you've figured it out, I believe that there is not much problems yet. Wink
Well, I fell difficult because I'm not good at API/DLLs.

PostPosted: Nov 19th, 2005, 11:25am    Post subject: Re: Internationalization Reply with quote

Brent, due to your request, I found that you could ONLY do that if the user or you or Liberty BASIC supports MUI(Multilingual User Interface). But Yin Jun reported that LB would go wrong under Asian language environment.

Here's where you can check it out.http://www.microsoft.com/globaldev/reference/muizone.mspx
Brent
Site Admin

PostPosted: Nov 21st, 2005, 8:13am    Post subject: Re: Internationalization Reply with quote

Thanks for posting the link. I'm not sure if I've read this already, since I've read a great deal on this subject. We'll just have to wait and see what LB 4.03 does to help when it is released, possibly later this month.
Kcproductionz

PostPosted: Nov 22nd, 2005, 2:57am    Post subject: Re: Internationalization Reply with quote

Maybe Thanksgiving Rolling Eyes ...
JohnDavidson

PostPosted: Jun 26th, 2006, 7:19pm    Post subject: Re: Internationalization Reply with quote

Hey Brent
Have you made any headway on this?

As you may know, I've been working on a little code editor for JB using the Scintilla edit control.
One of the recent releases was Unicode enabled.
I have pasted French, Greek, Italian, Russian, Vietnamese into it and all appears ok.
The Scintilla docs say there is support for Japanese and Korean but, like you, I have been a bit hesitant to install other character sets on this machine.

Unfortunately, feedback from users who might benefit from using non-Latin character sets in a code editor has been scarce.

John
Brent
Site Admin

PostPosted: Jun 27th, 2006, 8:52pm    Post subject: Re: Internationalization Reply with quote

Hi John,

It's unfortunate that I haven't been able to create enough free time to work on any of my projects. I hope to have more time for LB in a month or two.

Also, I have gotten very little feedback. It is probably LB's lack of native support for Unicode that hurts its acceptance in Asian countries.

I don't know what LB 5 will do to help this situation. Let's hope Carl sees the light.

JohnDavidson

PostPosted: Aug 24th, 2006, 11:47pm    Post subject: Re: Internationalization Reply with quote

I have made a little more headway Brent.
UTF8 enabling Scintilla does appear to render non-Latin characters.
screenshot 1
screenshot 2

John
Brent
Site Admin

PostPosted: Aug 25th, 2006, 2:04am    Post subject: Re: Internationalization Reply with quote

That's really cool, John! I really need to look into that.
udix

PostPosted: Oct 7th, 2006, 8:31am    Post subject: Re: Internationalization Reply with quote

I posted a problem on the LB Conforums about Arabic - which Brent answered. So people might look there. But there are still problems - maybe I am just too -- ehm, ok - and wonder whether that would be the right forum here to talk at length about it - but I fear the topic might be overstretched. So I just kepp pondering ....
Udix
JohnDavidson

PostPosted: Oct 7th, 2006, 6:36pm    Post subject: Re: Internationalization Reply with quote

This would be a great place for this discussion.

It looks like Kristina Edit, written in LB, handles Arabic fonts but needs to be 'right to left' enabled.

KE uses Scintillia, a third party dll.
Using Scintillia, I'll see if I can scratch out a simple Arabic test editor this weekend.

John
JohnDavidson

PostPosted: Oct 8th, 2006, 7:53pm    Post subject: Re: Internationalization Reply with quote

Here's a little unicode test file.
It uses the Arial Unicode MS font set by default. This font should be on most machines but it is also available at MS.

You can default change the font face by changing font$.

There is an an included font, Iqraa, if you want something to test with.

John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bay Six Software Forum Index -> Inclusive Design All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to:  
Quick Reply
Username:
   Shortcut keys: Alt+Q to activate, Alt+P to preview, Alt+S to submit
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum