Bay Six Software Forum Index Bay Six Software
Beyond the Basics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Instant Messenger?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bay Six Software Forum Index -> Internet Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lhamil64

PostPosted: Oct 9th, 2007, 4:46pm    Post subject: Instant Messenger? Reply with quote

I know of Brent's chat demo on lbpe but i was wondering if anybody has found out if there is a way to get it so its not just your LAN (like building to building).

thanks,
lhamil64
Brent
Site Admin

PostPosted: Oct 10th, 2007, 4:51pm    Post subject: Re: Instant Messenger? Reply with quote

Are you meaning the server side and the address it gives to connect to? If you are firewalled, the program cannot discover the real IP (for that I know of). The firewall has to forward a port to the server.
lhamil64

PostPosted: Oct 10th, 2007, 7:06pm    Post subject: Re: Instant Messenger? Reply with quote

Well for the server part i was thinking maybe of using a machine that is just laying around (doubt it because it doesn't have an OS on it right now i am using a linux live cd) or something. Would it be possible to use a website's server? I have a free website on netfast.org and was sort of thinking maybe i could somehow use that or something? i will continue to try to install windows on the spare computer though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bay Six Software Forum Index -> Internet Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: