Bay Six Software Forum Index Bay Six Software
Beyond the Basics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

info on WMLiberty

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bay Six Software Forum Index -> WMLiberty DLL
View previous topic :: View next topic  
carlo

PostPosted: May 30th, 2007, 11:03am    Post subject: info on WMLiberty Reply with quote

Dear Brent :

is there any limit to the number of messages WMLiberty may process? Or, in other words, may I use it any time I need in my software?

Secondly, is there any advantage to replace native command "trapclose" with WMLiberty-based code to detect window closing?

Thanks Carlo
Brent
Site Admin

PostPosted: May 30th, 2007, 8:50pm    Post subject: Re: info on WMLiberty Reply with quote

Hello Carlo,

1. There is no arbitrary limit to the number of messages WMLiberty can trap. It stores its information in a linked list, a completely dynamic data structure.

2. Generally there is no advantage to superseding LB's native event trapping. In some cases, WMLiberty has been claimed to be more responsive. However, any time you use WMLiberty, you make your program substantially more difficult to debug. Personally, I would not do it unless I deemed it absolutely necessary.

carlo

PostPosted: May 31st, 2007, 7:12am    Post subject: Re: info on WMLiberty Reply with quote

Hi Brent :

thanks so much for your reply.

May I ask you advise on another topic?
On your experience - I am a chemist, with not so much experience in computing science - will you see advantage, in large programs, moving from LB to PowerBasic to gain speed and flexibility (e.g. the possibility of declaring all variabled to fing out typing errors?
I am involved in a quite complex chemical project, my code is reaching 18000 lines, I have to heavily rely on API's and WMLiberty. Since LB5 is apparently not on sight, I am considering porting this big project to PB, but I am quite scared of the problems invoved. I am completely satisfied with LB, but I fear I am stretchin gLB4 to its limits.

Thanks again

Carlo
Brent
Site Admin

PostPosted: Jun 2nd, 2007, 2:29am    Post subject: Re: info on WMLiberty Reply with quote

Hi Carlo,

I hear that PB is an excellent product, but maybe a little overpriced. I have never used the version for Windows, just the versions for DOS many years ago.

PB has a steeper learning curve compared to LB. From code I've seen, GUIs are created and handled in ways that resemble C code. Low-level code such as this is generally faster than LB's high-level functionality.

Keep in mind these adages: Though a language may be "slow," it is possible to write some very fast code if you know what you are doing. If you do not know what you are doing in a "fast" language, you can produce some very slow code.

carlo

PostPosted: Jun 2nd, 2007, 8:14am    Post subject: Re: info on WMLiberty Reply with quote

Thanks so much!

By the way, I saw your code for using Winsock, I'm considering to add some extra code to my software to control instrumentation over the Internet. I'll keep you informed if I'll start this project.

Thnaks again, you are doing a great job for LB community!

Yours Carlo
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bay Six Software Forum Index -> WMLiberty DLL All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: