Bay Six Software Forum Index Bay Six Software
Beyond the Basics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Scarcity of LB on Wikipedia

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bay Six Software Forum Index -> Inclusive Design
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brent
Site Admin

PostPosted: Oct 13th, 2006, 3:08am    Post subject: Scarcity of LB on Wikipedia Reply with quote

Has anyone else noticed the severe lack of content concerning LB on the many Wikipedia language sites? As it stands now, there is only one non-English article about LB (Spanish) and it is a "stub." I think international interest in LB would pick up greatly with a presence on Wikipedia besides English.

What do you think?

Gordon

PostPosted: Oct 13th, 2006, 7:17pm    Post subject: Re: Scarcity of LB on Wikipedia Reply with quote

Well Brent,

Liberty BASIC is mentioned in the Dutch Wiki too.
I only couldn't mention that in the English Wiki.
http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberty_Basic

I plan to change the BASIC page, so to mention the birth of language4s like LB and other Window BASIC after W95 too.

Gordon
Brent
Site Admin

PostPosted: Oct 13th, 2006, 9:30pm    Post subject: Re: Scarcity of LB on Wikipedia Reply with quote

Hello Gordon,

Thank you for reminding me about your work on WP. I think you have mentioned it before on other forums.

But I may be absolved by the fact that the articles I referenced lack a link to the Dutch site in their "in other languages" lists. I don't know how these get added; quite possibly each site must be edited. I think this needs a look-see.

Gordon

PostPosted: Oct 14th, 2006, 9:31am    Post subject: Re: Scarcity of LB on Wikipedia Reply with quote

Hello Brent,

If Stephan is a member of this forum, could you please PM him with a request to help?
Stephan speaks German (English and French too) fluently.
German (or some kind of German) is spoken in Europe by more then 100 million (a 1 with 8 zero's) people.

There is an active forum in France. I guess LB will get in WE there soon, because Just BASIC is there already.

Gordon.
Brent
Site Admin

PostPosted: Oct 14th, 2006, 4:55pm    Post subject: Re: Scarcity of LB on Wikipedia Reply with quote

Gordon, Do you mean Stefan Pendl? I don't see his name in the memberlist. I'll probably PM him on Conforums.

BTW, there's also a Danish WP article for JB (http://da.wikipedia.org/wiki/Just_BASIC), but nothing for LB.

Gordon

PostPosted: Oct 15th, 2006, 9:56am    Post subject: Re: Scarcity of LB on Wikipedia Reply with quote

Brent,

That's who I meant. I remember that he lives in Austria and they speak German there at least.

I changed the Dutch WE-Basic page. It mentions Liberty BASIC now.
But is this correct.

Code:
Carl Gundel wrote Liberty BASIC in 1992 reacting on QBASIC not being expanded to work with Windows. 

Gordon.
Brent
Site Admin

PostPosted: Oct 16th, 2006, 4:14am    Post subject: Re: Scarcity of LB on Wikipedia Reply with quote

Gordon wrote:
Code:
Carl Gundel wrote Liberty BASIC in 1992 reacting on QBASIC not being expanded to work with Windows. 
Well, some people might argue that Visual Basic extended QB to Windows. But then VB isn't free (unless you count VB 5.0 CCE and now VB 2005 Express). But then LB isn't free either.

I'd say it's correct as long as you have it in the proper context.

Gordon

PostPosted: Oct 21st, 2006, 11:51am    Post subject: Re: Scarcity of LB on Wikipedia Reply with quote

So, should I mention that LB was a shareware type of Visual Basic that created it own niche nowadays? The WE site says that QBASIC was bundled with MS-DOS this means it was free if you bought MS-DOS.

I think Carl now likes to promote (easy) programming in the first place.

Gordon
Brent
Site Admin

PostPosted: Oct 21st, 2006, 8:32pm    Post subject: Re: Scarcity of LB on Wikipedia Reply with quote

Calling LB a shareware version of VB would not be correct. They are very different languages. VB 1.0 for DOS added many commands to QB and removed a few. VB for Windows eliminated or substantially changed a large set of commands. And VB.NET has gone even further afield, becoming something that BASIC programmers of the 1980s would not recognize as BASIC.
Gordon

PostPosted: Oct 22nd, 2006, 10:27am    Post subject: Re: Scarcity of LB on Wikipedia Reply with quote

Okay, this is my lack of feeling in English.
Maybe I should say: LB is a VB look alike shareware?

I stated LB is a type of VB, but I didn't mean a shareware version of.

How should I phrase this?

Gordon.
Brent
Site Admin

PostPosted: Oct 22nd, 2006, 7:28pm    Post subject: Re: Scarcity of LB on Wikipedia Reply with quote

Gordon, if it were me, I would not mention VB at all with respect to LB unless it is necessary to make a point.
andlabs

PostPosted: Dec 20th, 2006, 8:20pm    Post subject: Re: Scarcity of LB on Wikipedia Reply with quote

I think the reason why there is very few translated stuff on Wikipedia is because Liberty BASIC is not localized!

Proof that Carl wanted a low-cost QBASIC-like system for Windows: http://world.std.com/~carlg/lbhistory.html
Quote:
The other reason was because I was disappointed that software for Windows was so expensive (typically $500 or more in 1991), and there was no Windows version of Microsoft QBASIC.
lnenad

PostPosted: Mar 13th, 2007, 9:25pm    Post subject: Re: Scarcity of LB on Wikipedia Reply with quote

I know this topic is old but i just saw it and had the NEED FOR SPEED Very Happy

You now have a SERBIAN wikipedia entry http://sr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberty_BASIC
Brent
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mar 15th, 2007, 9:32pm    Post subject: Re: Scarcity of LB on Wikipedia Reply with quote

That's good to know! I found a list of the number of articles on each language of WP and saw that sr is like #28. Maybe this fact will be a "call to action" for the other 25 above you.
lnenad

PostPosted: Mar 16th, 2007, 7:29am    Post subject: Re: Scarcity of LB on Wikipedia Reply with quote

You might have noticed that the article is a stub, i wrote a bigger article but for some reason it was shortened (i never wrote a new article so probably there was some mistakes)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bay Six Software Forum Index -> Inclusive Design All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Quick Reply
Username:
   Shortcut keys: Alt+Q to activate, Alt+P to preview, Alt+S to submit
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum