Bay Six Software Forum Index Bay Six Software
Beyond the Basics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[RFC] VFScript 0.2.0 User Guide
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brent
Site Admin

PostPosted: Jan 10th, 2012, 1:51am    Post subject: [RFC] VFScript 0.2.0 User Guide Reply with quote

Hello all,

A new version of VFScript is coming soon. If you don't know, VFScript is a small compiler and runtime environment written entirely in LB.

I have been working on some proper documentation and would like to have some feedback on it. The current draft can be found at the following URL:

http://www.b6sw.com/docs/VFScript/UserGuide.shtml

Comments or questions can be posted by double-clicking a section of the document. If the commenting system gives you any problems, just reply to this topic with the symptoms.

I will add a "Credits" section to the document to thank each of you that help improve this.

STPendl

PostPosted: Jan 11th, 2012, 11:12am    Post subject: Re: [RFC] VFScript 0.2.0 User Guide Reply with quote

I have tried to double-click a section, but there is no action at all.

Any code I post can be freely used, just give credit.
Brent
Site Admin

PostPosted: Jan 11th, 2012, 6:36pm    Post subject: Re: [RFC] VFScript 0.2.0 User Guide Reply with quote

Hi Stefan,

Please try again. I have updated the Javascript and the document. I was certain I had tested the JS with FF, but it's apparent I did not.

Thanks

STPendl

PostPosted: Jan 11th, 2012, 9:13pm    Post subject: Re: [RFC] VFScript 0.2.0 User Guide Reply with quote

Hi Brent,

Yes, now it works.

So one must double-click the section heading, if clicking anywhere in the section the subject will be wrong.

Sorry for not mentioning the browser I use.

Brent
Site Admin

PostPosted: Jan 12th, 2012, 12:44am    Post subject: Re: [RFC] VFScript 0.2.0 User Guide Reply with quote

I think I have it working properly with Firefox now--no need to click the heading. It seems that the issue had to do with the width of the <BODY>. But I'm using FF3.6, so hopefully it works with newer versions also.
STPendl

PostPosted: Jan 12th, 2012, 1:04pm    Post subject: Re: [RFC] VFScript 0.2.0 User Guide Reply with quote

Sorry, but there seems to be an invisible separator in the sections.

Steps to reproduce:

1) navigate to the TRIM section

2) double-click into the top half of it
2a) notice the subject is correct

3) double-click into the bottom half of it
3a) notice the subject is Sub_Statement

This is reproducible with any section, even with ABS.

BTW, why are you so far behind with your FF version?
Until now all add-ons should be valid for FF 10.* anyways.

Brent
Site Admin

PostPosted: Jan 12th, 2012, 7:23pm    Post subject: Re: [RFC] VFScript 0.2.0 User Guide Reply with quote

I found some JS code that claims to be fool-proof and adapted it for my needs. I tried it with IE, FF, and GC and it seems to work properly.

As for my outdated FF, I was waiting for an add-on to be updated and never got around to checking if it finally got updated. I just checked and it was updated, so I'm in the process of upgrading.

STPendl

PostPosted: Jan 12th, 2012, 9:07pm    Post subject: Re: [RFC] VFScript 0.2.0 User Guide Reply with quote

Brent,

I can confirm that the double-clicking is now working as expected.

Going for a read now Wink

Brent
Site Admin

PostPosted: Jan 14th, 2012, 9:27am    Post subject: Re: [RFC] VFScript 0.2.0 User Guide Reply with quote

I just updated the doc. Most new stuff is in the upper half.

BTW, I probably should have previously noted that the annotation system uses the names of anchors which are targets of links from other parts of the page. Not every subsection has an assigned anchor yet, and may never get one if it is minor. If you click a subsection and the subject is that of its parent section, please mention the subsection if you feel it is necessary. If you double-click to comment on a section with an existing comment, you will be taken to that comment. Simply reply to the existing topic.

STPendl

PostPosted: Jan 14th, 2012, 11:52am    Post subject: Re: [RFC] VFScript 0.2.0 User Guide Reply with quote

Since VFScript is very similar to LB in respect to the command names, essential differences to LB should be emphasized more.

BTW, I like the support for lists or arrays of some of the functions Wink

Brent
Site Admin

PostPosted: Jan 14th, 2012, 8:20pm    Post subject: Re: [RFC] VFScript 0.2.0 User Guide Reply with quote

STPendl wrote:
Since VFScript is very similar to LB in respect to the command names, essential differences to LB should be emphasized more.

I've added a thick stripe along the left side to emphasize major differences. Do you think this is enough? It misses less major differences inside tables (eg unary operators) because that wouldn't look right IMO. Maybe there's a better way to format this?

STPendl

PostPosted: Jan 14th, 2012, 8:40pm    Post subject: Re: [RFC] VFScript 0.2.0 User Guide Reply with quote

It is hard to tell if the thick bar is enough. This will be known, when multiple users use that scripting language.

It is really hard to tell what needs to be changed to make it nearly foolproof, but we can add some things beforehand due to our experience with other documentation.

STPendl

PostPosted: Jan 15th, 2012, 12:47am    Post subject: Re: [RFC] VFScript 0.2.0 User Guide Reply with quote

I haven't found any other issues.

Did the suggested change for the main introduction slip through or is it not appropriate?

Brent
Site Admin

PostPosted: Jan 15th, 2012, 9:22pm    Post subject: Re: [RFC] VFScript 0.2.0 User Guide Reply with quote

Today's update mainly makes changes to Functions and Simple statements. See the associated topics for details.
Brent
Site Admin

PostPosted: Jan 19th, 2012, 11:29pm    Post subject: Re: [RFC] VFScript 0.2.0 User Guide Reply with quote

I just updated the doc. Mostly made changes to the style.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bay Six Software Forum Index -> VFScript All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to:  
Quick Reply
Username:
   Shortcut keys: Alt+Q to activate, Alt+P to preview, Alt+S to submit
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum